- The United States received the Statue as a gift from France in 1886. Its full name is Liberty Enlightening the World, hence the torch symbolizing the candle-flame that enlightens.
- The figure clad in robes reminds us of the Roman goddess of freedom, Libertas.
- The seven rays on the crown of the Statue symbolize the seven oceans and continents.
- Broken chains at the feet of the Statue represent the victory over tyranny and oppression.
- Lady Liberty has Morton’s Toe; her second toe is longer than the big toe. This is an allusion to the Greek ideals of beauty, who found it aesthetically attractive.
- The form of the tablet, called a keystone, in the left hand of the Statue symbolizes that the nation is based on law.
What else do you know about the USA?
Show your knowledge and wit!Play Quiz