- Fort Jefferson, located in Florida, is the third largest coastal fort of the USA, but it never actually saw any battles. In fact, the fort is unfinished: it took 30 years to build it but in 1875 it was officially abandoned due to frequent hurricanes.
- The fortress is composed of an insane amount of bricks – no less than 16 million!
- The fort’s walls are 8 feet thick.
- Originally, the fort was heavily armed: it had 520 guns – and not just guns but the most advanced firearms available at that time. But they were never used.
- The fort was used to house prisoners convicted for conspiring to assassinate Abraham Lincoln.
Why not take a trivia challenge for true Patriots?
Test your knowledge of everything American and score dozens of points!Play now