- John Adams and Thomas Jefferson took wood chips from Shakespeare's chair as a souvenir.
- A reporter caught John Quincy Adams skinny dipping and forced to give an interview.
- Andrew Jackson’s parrot, which has been taught to curse, was cast out from Jackson’s funeral because of its foul language.
- James Buchanan was the only bachelor among the US presidents.
- In his childhood, Andrew Johnson worked as a tailor’s servant, and as president, he made his own suits.
- Ulysses Grant was blood-shy.
- Grover Cleveland married his ward.
- Chester A. Arthur sold off 24 wagons of historical objects to raise money for the White House redecoration.
- Grover Cleveland was afraid of being electrocuted.
- George Washington was passionate about dancing and spent a lot of time at balls before he became our first president.
- Apart from being one of the founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson was also the forebear of American architecture. He took part in the creation of the first government buildings, the University of Virginia and his plantation in Charlottesville.
- Artful dueler, Andrew Jackson has fought about 100 duels over the course of his life.
- John Tyler almost became a concert violinist but later decided to study the law. Rumor has it that he performed at White House parties.
- Thanks to his highly-developed memory, Franklin Pierce recited his 3,319-word inaugural speech by heart.
- James Garfield could write in Greek with one hand and Latin with the other at the same time.
- Woodrow Wilson is known to have sung tenor in his college club.
- These seemingly unimportant facts cast light on our presidents’ life and humanize these historical figures.
Find out many more interesting fact about American history and presidents!
Learn more and test your knowledge!Play Quiz